Remark Office OMR recognizes the following barcode types:
• Code 3 of 9 (Code 39): Alphanumeric
• Interleaved 2 of 5: Numeric
• Codabar: Numeric
• PDF 417: 2D, Alphanumeric
• Data Matrix: 2D, Alphanumeric
• Code 11: Numeric
• Code 128: Alphanumeric
• Code 93: Alphanumeric
• EAN 13: Numeric
• EAN 8: Numeric
• UPCA: Numeric
• UPCE: Numeric
Barcodes are a reliable way to capture a variety of information, including, but not limited to, names, ID numbers, session/class numbers, other demographic information, etc., from a form while using a small amount of space. In addition, many textual barcodes can contain multiple items separated by a delimiter (e.g., you can have multiple textual items in one barcode and separate them into individual fields in the data grid). If using multiple pieces of data in one barcode, the barcode must include a delimiter to separate the pieces of data. Your choices of delimiter are comma, tab, space, tilde (~), carriage return, line feed, carriage return/line feed. Remark Office OMR will output the individual pieces of data to separate cells in the data grid when the forms are processed.
1. When setting up a barcode region in the Template Editor, you are asked to specify a barcode type. For best recognition we recommend that you choose the specific barcode type from the region's drop-down list. If you do not know the barcode type that you are using, you may use the Auto Detect setting from the list to have Remark Office OMR automatically determine what type of barcode is in the region.
2. When creating a region for a barcode that will contain multiple pieces of data, remember to enter the number of pieces of data contained in the barcode in the Number of items box. You may use the up/down arrows provided, or type a number in this box.
3. The most common causes of barcode recognition errors are the following:
a. Barcode was not printed onto the form using sufficiently high printing resolution. Please refer to your barcode font manufacturer for details.
b. Used a barcode type that Remark Office OMR cannot recognize.
c. Did not select the correct barcode type from the drop-down list when creating the region in the form template.
d. Used the Code 3 of 9 barcode type without using beginning and ending asterisks (*). Update pre-existing form templates by specifically selecting the 3 of 9 barcode from the list in Region properties.
e. Barcode generated does not fit within region definition area. (Barcodes may vary in length depending on the data that you are capturing. Be sure to make the barcode region large enough to capture the longest barcode you plan to recognize.)
f. Barcode is printed too small on the form; barcodes should be at least 26 points in terms of size (about 1/4 inch high).
g. Extraneous marks are located within the barcode region; it is good to keep barcodes away from areas where people may write.
h. Scanning resolution is too low (should be at least 300 DPI).
The code 3 of 9 barcode font is available for free download from http://www.gravic.com/remark/officeomr/downloads.html.