Getting Started with Online Tests
Want to see this feature in action? Click Online Tests for a how-to video.
Please use this quick start for an overview of how online tests work. Please note that you must have student email addresses in Remark Test Grading Cloud to use this feature, as each student will receive an email with a link to the test.
Designing your Test
Design your test as you normally would using the test designer. We recommend entering the test questions so that they are displayed online with the answer options. If you do not enter question text, you can optionally include a separate test document with your email link.
- Multiple choice style questions will always be displayed in the "traditional" view (one question at a time followed by the answer choices ).
- Math questions will show a write-in box for students to type their answers. Students will type their numeric response in a text box.
- When using open response questions you will see what the students' wrote when you use the "Grade Open Responses" feature.
Distributing the Test
- Once you have designed the test, create an answer key by clicking the Create button on the test details screen.
- Optional: If you need to see a copy of the test, click the "Distribute Tests" button and choose "For Paper." Then download a copy of the answer key by marking the "Include the answer key" box and deselecting all of the students. Click the "Download Tests" button. You can then use the downloaded PDF file as a reference.
- When you are ready to have students start taking the test, click the "Distribute Tests" button and then choose "For Online Submission."
- In the "Online Test Settings", you can set how you would like to present the test question to your students.
- Select "Show students all questions at once" if you prefer to show all the questions on the same page. Note: This is the default setting.
- If you would rather show one question per page select "Show students one test question at at time." When this option is selected, you can choose to "Randomize question order" and the questions will be displayed in a random order for each student.
- Your settings will be saved automatically. These settings remain in place for this test until you change them again. If you need to change the settings once the test is live, you will need to close the submission windows first.
- Determine when you want the test to be available to students. You can either open and close the test manually or set a window when it will be open automatically.
- To manually open and close the test, mark the option for "I would like to open and close the submission period manually" and then click the "Open Submissions" button.
- To use a submission window, mark the option for "I would like to specify an availability window." Then choose a start date and time. Click the "Set Availability Window" button when you are finished. Note: The time is based on the time zone settings in your application settings. If you have students in multiple time zones, make sure you set the window accordingly.
- Optional: If you have a document with test questions in a separate document and uploaded it on the previous screen, mark the checkbox to "Include test document." If your test questions are on the test itself, you can skip this step (and the option is disabled).
- You may optionally copy yourself on the emails by checking the "copy me on each email message" checkbox.
- Click the "Email Students" button. Each student receives an email with a unique link to the test. They may only submit the test one time (look for a future enhancement to allow multiple submissions). If the student's browser should crash, their answers are stored in the browser until they submit the test, at which time they are cleared.
As students submit tests, you will see the Test Details page update in Remark Test Grading Cloud. At this point you can use Remark Test Grading as you normally would to:
- Grade open response questions
- Save data
- Run reports
Article ID: 281
Created On: Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 12:46 PM
Last Updated On: Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 12:58 PM
Online URL: https://support.gravic.com/remark/kb/article/getting-started-with-online-tests-281.html